Prev: RE: OT: Oceanography stuff Next: Re: Terrain

Re: Alternate suggestions Re: Light up hallmark spaceships????

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 04:55:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Alternate suggestions Re: Light up hallmark spaceships????

I don't necessarily have the scratchbuilding skills
to construct such a thing, though your ideas are
interesting. I was wondering if the already existing
and available electric star trek ships (I use
Federation ships from Star Trek in Full Thrust games)
could be made to do their thing on batteries rather
than plugged into the wall by a light string.

I doubt it's as easy as this, but could you cut the
wire that goes to the light string, and solder them
to a couple of batteries taped to the stand and have
a lighted ship on the table?

--- devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> I can make some suggestions that were brought up
> long ago and far away.
>
> One of the things I thought about but never tried
> seriously in gaming was
> using blacklites. If you find the day glo or
> florescent modelling enamel,
> you can make ships' parts that will glow
> interestingly under blacklite,
> even with moderate ambient normal lights.  One
> problem is, on a black table
> top, dust will ususally glow, likewise. Also, there
> are some florescent
> fish lines (I don't know why not ALL such) that glow
> brightly, and would
> make neat 'lay of shot' strings between ships.
>
> I've put dots on what would be portholes, and always
> thought
> drybrushed-over-black would be the way to make
> engine nozzles look right.
>
> Another trick I've thought about, but never even
> gave a try was light
> guides, either fibre optics or plastic cylinders.
> Got the idea from a
> McDonald toy that had a light guide that took a
> sharp bend from the top of
> it's head to the center of it's canine 'face'. With
> the right overhead
> light, the eyes glowed wickedly.
>
> Natch, if you go with electrics, putting a small
> bulb in the center of the
> fig, and using light guides to distribute the light
> to the surface would
> probably be the best idea. Shouldn't be impossible.
> I'd think the biggest
> NSL would be the place to start.
>
> Me, I'd look for a toy spaceship with LED's and just
> try to snaz it up for
> the tabletop... ;->=
>
> The_Beast

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Prev: RE: OT: Oceanography stuff Next: Re: Terrain