Prev: [SG] Climate/Environment Aclamation (was RE: [OT] Canadians are C OLD....) Next: Re: Fleet Escorts

Re: Customized Sa'Vasku

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 12:18:33 EST
Subject: Re: Customized Sa'Vasku

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:46:39 -0800 (PST) Shawn M Mininger
<smininger@yahoo.com> writes:
>I have a question for all you Full Thrusters.
>
>The group that I play FT with loves to custom build
>our own ships.  We put together a spreadsheet that
>does all the calculations. The house rule is that any
>ship made with our spreadsheet is fair (that way if
>the spread sheet calculates something wrong...at least
>it's consistantly wrong and no one benefits more than
>anyone else.)	We do have certain other house
>rules......like no mixing......humans can mix and
>match all they want (essentially all the weapons
>systems out of the first and second books).  Aliens
>can only use thier alien systems.
>
>This has caused a problem......the Sa'Vasku!!!!  If
>you play the prebuilt (canned) Sa'Vasku ships, they
>aren't soo bad.  The problem is when you build your
>own.  They can quickly become unbeatable.  Example: If
>each side takes 1000pts, my buddy usually takes
>Sa'Vasku....makes one big ship......and game over!!!
>He just builds them with a huge amount of power...no
>shields.  Then has just has to sit accross the table
>and blow us away at ranges we can't even dream of.  If
>we make a run to get in close....guess what....he
>changes range and blows us apart even faster!!!
>
>Anyone else run into this problem?  Can anyone give me
>some advice?
>
>=====
>Thank You,
>
>Shawn M Mininger

Maybe you should consider "why" this guy insists on playing in such a
way
as to totally unbalance the game?? Munchkin?  Victory counter?	Ego
freak?	Sorry if this seems blunt but if this *always* happens this
person is, at best, fixated on winning by playing the spreadsheet over
playing the game.  Why not limit the games to humans for a while and see
this person's response?

Maybe you could provide binding rules such as?

No more then 40% (no minimum) of you points will be Capital Ships, no
more then 50% and no Less then 25% Cruisers, and no more then 50% or
less
then 10% of points expended must be escorts???	 This requires at least
Three ships...	One of each.  And if you use morale rules each ship lost
is 33% of the fleet.... including that escort, no matter how light it
is...

But I still think your problem is found in the answer to my first
question.

As a 'recovered munchkin' I feel I can speak openly about that problem.

Gracias, Glenn/Triphibious (American Mongrel)
You don't have to be French to be a 'frog', or even human!
Nektons - Real Marines! (Die, Ralnai, Die!)
Starguard, Dirtside 2,	Ratner's Space Marines, Stellar Conflicts
and Uprisings, and Full Thrust/2nd.  Resistance is everything!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: [SG] Climate/Environment Aclamation (was RE: [OT] Canadians are C OLD....) Next: Re: Fleet Escorts