Prev: RE: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant) Next: RE: RE: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

RE: RE: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:09:19 -0500
Subject: RE: RE: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

From: Casquilho, Daniel Daniel.Casquilho@disney.com

>Not all Governments allow you to vote for or against the people
who make the laws. Take the USA where I live for example. Even
though we pay lip service to "democratic methods" we are not close
ourselves.
<snip>
>Last Example? The American Court system has started to be used to
"make law" rather then "interpret law". Again, in most cases these
are Judges appointed not voted in. And in the case of the US Supreme
Court they are in for life.
>It is not that hard for me to see the UNSC/UN to be something like
what Jon has created in his background. Many times the people in power
do not ask the masses what they want, but do what is in the interest of
those in power.

No disagreement with any of that, and I agree the UN is like that now
and more so when it has its own revenue stream and troops--but how
likely is it that having "power without accountability" will make the UN
a benevolent force?

The other problem with the UN as opposed to a nationstate is, you can
emigrate from your country if you see it heading downhill and enacting
laws you can't live with.  Your emigration may be illegal, expensive and
risky--but it can be done.  How do you emigrate from the UN?
(answer, effective effective ca AD2210--move to Alarish).

Prev: RE: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant) Next: RE: RE: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)