Prev: Re: [ft] Needle damage mechanics plus background Next: Re:[FT]Needle dammage

Re: FW: London Times Article

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 07:25:12 -0000
Subject: Re: FW: London Times Article

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Llaneza <imperialdispatches@yahoo.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2001 4:03 AM

> Wasn't this also one of Saberhagen's Berserker stories ? Damaged
Berserker,
> directedto a 'plum' planet. A military officer is outraged, but then
the
> encyclopedia salesman reveals the deception.
>
> The moral of this statement that our deceitful nature is a survival
trait.

> --- Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@juno.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 08 Mar 2001 10:50:36 EST JRebori682@aol.com writes:
> > <snip>
> > >Second) I recall just recently reading a short story about the
capture
> > >of a space ship by a piratical force. Needing to decide on where to
go
> > >for thier next attack, they discover a set of encyclopedias and the
> > >salesman for them. He shows them an entry for a pleasant,
unprotected,
> > >and rich planet not too far from thier present location. After they
> > >leave to go after this plum. the salesman reveals to the outraged
crew
> > >that the place doesn't exist and in fact was inserted into the book
> > >catch plagarists. They inform the "space patrol" types of the
> > >destination of the pirates, and they are caught. Might be a useful
> > >start to a scenario design.
> >
> > B-E-E-U-T-I-F-U-L!
> >
> > I love it.

I`ve got this in my large collection of sf novels, and I think it is the
beserker novel series. It my actually be from one of the short story
anthologies, and I think the same one that had the story of the thought
controlled fighters that end up being piloted by artificial
personalities,
one being the red barron. Of course, I could be wrong (it would take too
long to check, lost count of my sf at 400 a couple of years ago)<G>.

BIF
 "yorkshire born,yorkshire bred,
 strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: Re: [ft] Needle damage mechanics plus background Next: Re:[FT]Needle dammage