Prev: RE: Wartime references for Aliens Next: Re: [FT] WotW (Finish EMP, Start Needle)

Re: [FT] WotW (Finish EMP, Start Needle)

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:42:34 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW (Finish EMP, Start Needle)

As for EMP resolution, I don't think we really had any.
It'd really be nice to come up with a decent direct fire EMP weapon, but
as
of now there seem to be too many approaches. If anyone wants to ammend
the
specific systems they have in the archives, or give me something they
think
is a synthesis of some of the ideas, they should probably e-mail me
directly.

As for Needles, I responded to BIF's post a while ago, point by point,
but
it must have gotten lost in transit.

Beth asked regarding the HNB:
> Why the need for two firecons to get extra range? I can't really
explain
> it, but something isn't sitting right with me here.

The HNB, in my opinion, needed a fraction more limitation than simply
the
extra mass. An extra firecon seemed right. As with regular needle beams,
it's per terget, so if you had 2 HNB's you still ned only two dedicted
firecons. Further playtesting could determine whether this limitation
was
really necessary. It could easily be that the HNB balances at 4 Mass/2
Firecons or 5 Mass/1 Firecon.

>(Charles [on phalon needles)) On second thoughts I think I'll go with
Oerjan's suggestion -
 >however, I have some questions: should only 1-arc Pulsars be
 >configurable for Needle mode, if not, should a pulsar that is
configured
 >for Needle mode be restricted to 1 fire arc (chosen from those of the
 >Pulsar), finally, can a Pulsar-N be used as a point defence system?

I'd say you have to choose a single arc for the Needle. I'd allow "class
1
as PDS" fire for the Pusler N, since the gun is tuned to a very narrow
beam
and not the wide barrage of most PDS fire.

For the SV Needle Pods, I favor the (T) version (Charles') but don't
relish
the cost of one biomass for each shot. I'd say if you consume a biomass
you
should get two needle dice vs. the chosen target.

And stepping back to BIF's message from the 2nd & 24th...

>1-Multi arc needle beams

Don't like, but would want +2Mass/arc if we had to have them.

> 2-heavy needle beams (as on noam`s site, with the double dammage
ablities)
> I personally don`t like a needle beam that can do double hits at once.
But
> each to their own (if it works for him, OK).

The HNB can only target a single system at close range.the possibility
of
double hits (only on double 6) is reasonable due to the increased power
of
the beam. And even so that only affects systems which take 2 hits to
destroy, like Main Drive.

> 3-Long range needle beams
The HNB is also basically a long range NB.

> 4-Multi arc long range needle beams
Dislike even more than 1)

>5-Needle beam MT missiles
Perhaps a variant of the SV Needle pod. Fired as amissile, but generates
2
or 3 needle dice vs target system on impact.

> 6-Variable focus needle beams/class 3 bats.
I kind of like this. Adds some interesting flexibility to heavy weapons.
I'm
not sure whetehr I'd trade 3 beam dice for one needle die in actual
combat,
though. Anyway, For multi-arc class 3's you'd have to choose a "Primary
arc"
at the start of the game that would be the single arc it could fire
through
in Needle configuration.

Noam

Prev: RE: Wartime references for Aliens Next: Re: [FT] WotW (Finish EMP, Start Needle)