Prev: Re: [DS] Force List for Review Next: Re: More needle beams stuff on [Stargrunt-Fullthrust] Digest Number 149

Re: More needle beams stuff on [Stargrunt-Fullthrust] Digest Number 149

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:27:01 EST
Subject: Re: More needle beams stuff on [Stargrunt-Fullthrust] Digest Number 149

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 22:56:16 -0500 Allan Goodall <awg@sympatico.ca>
writes:
>On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 22:08:54 EST, Glenn M Wilson
><triphibious@juno.com> wrote:
>
>>Bottom line, most people find it unbalancing to use Needle Beams for
>>targeting core systems.  Okay, I am in a minority.  Been there
>before.  I
>>will keep it specific to certain scenarios in my "Starguard
>Conversion to
>>FT/DS2 Campaign" setting - where only the otherwise somewhat bland
>>extremely paranoid to the point of mild to moderate xenophobia
>Nektons
>>will be routinely mounting Needle Beams on their ships.
>
>Well, it is unbalancing. One single needle beam shot could essentially
>take
>out the entire ship. You would have people loading up on needle beams
>only and
>targeting the core systems. The needle beams aren't expensive enough
>for that.

100% agree on that.

>Now, as a scenario specific game, sure. Go for it! It's one of the
>things I
>like about FT. It's very flexible.

Okay, I will.  I plan to balance it by restricting size of Nekton ships
to LC, maybe EC, in size.  Other guys will have normal size selections.
Also, loss of Nekton Ships (destroyed, captured) will be double victory
points (when you're starship build capacity in restricted to 'Home' and
few other planets (at best) then every loss is harder to make up...

Thought about doing 150% or 200% on points per ship (100 point ship
costs
150 or 200 points from available build points) to reflect the scarcity
and difficulty of building ships when you're one of the smaller powers
on
the board...  Less, and smaller, ships means less Needle Beams per
strike
force of  'x'  points.

Gracias, Glenn/Triphibious (American Mongrel)
You don't have to be French to be a 'frog', or even human!
Nektons - Real Marines! (Die, Ralnai, Die!)
Starguard, Dirtside 2,	Ratner's Space Marines, Stellar Conflicts
and Uprisings, and Full Thrust/2nd.  Resistance is everything!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: [DS] Force List for Review Next: Re: More needle beams stuff on [Stargrunt-Fullthrust] Digest Number 149