Prev: Re: FMA necromunda scirmish level rules Next: Re: Re-Reenforced hull

Re: General EMP Thoughts

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <s_schoon@p...>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:40:34 -0800
Subject: Re: General EMP Thoughts

>More accurately, this is to maintain the current imbalance between
>large and small ships. An imbalance I for one would be quite happy to
>see reduced, though those who routinely fly all-SDN fleets or single
>superships might disagree :-/

I do neither of those things and actually feel that escorts have a
very important place in the battle line, but that's a whole other
debate. Of course large ships are more powerful - and they have the
point cost to prove it. We can save the Supership vs. Mixed Fleet
debate for another time.

>The ship-wide blanket effect of the MTM-EMP (and its proposed
>direct-fire relatives) is one of the very few FT game mechanisms (as
>opposed to arbitrary scenario restrictions or tournament rules) which
>*can* reduce this particular imbalance, which is why I'm not prepared
>to accept Schoon's first point for all EMP weapons.

The same EMP weapon hits an SC and an SDN, causing blanket threshold
rolls on both. What is it's point value?

>If you nail the list down hard enough that there's nothing to argue
>about, it'll still take almost forever to evaluate, only the rule's
>author will be completely happy about it, and the list will *not* be
>simple. Noam and Beth have already pointed out some of the reasons why
>this is so, so I won't repeat them here.

Not true: I've seen several simple, short lists that look perfectly
acceptable.

>Either a normal threshold, or use whatever table the MTM-EMPs and
>SM-EMPs use. (And those two should use the same table, too :-/)

With this I heartily agree!

Prev: Re: FMA necromunda scirmish level rules Next: Re: Re-Reenforced hull