Prev: Re: [FT] BTG Conversions Next: TO&E questions

RE: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:12:38 GMT
Subject: RE: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

In message <6B3C0EEAB4FED3119F5F009027DC5E9EA9ADEC@spacemsg3.jhuapl.edu>
	  "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

> Karl suggested
>  >Attacker nominates three target systems, numbering them 1, 2, 3
>  >Defender nominates 3 system (4,5,6). Throw a die to see which one is
>  >hit.
>
> Gan't say I like it much better. Aside from seeming somewhat needlish
rather
> than EMP-ish, every EMP hit lengthens the game significantly, since
_both_
> sides have to make a new list depending on the target and its state of
> damage, _after_ a hit is determined, and then another die is rolled
for the
> hit. If several hits are on the smae ship, one or both lists will have
to be
> modified for each subsequent hit.
>
> I'd sure hate it if EMP weapons determined this way were the primaries
of my
> opposing fleet. The more I think about it, the less I like
non-shipwide
> threshold checks (even on my own designs) as a practical game
mechanic. I
> still advocate "Firer choses threshold check order" or "target choses
order"
> or (second best) "Firer and target alternate chosing order" if you
really
> want to deal non-shipwide EMP hits in a way that won't slow the game
as
> much.
>
> Noam

Well, if we deside to limit non-shipwide threshold checks to 'Needle'
class weapons (where the threshold check is replaced by a 'To hit'
roll), then we just need to come up with a way to balance shipwide
threshold inducing weapons, we could probably cut the list down to a few
standard systems:

'EMB Beams' aka Ion Cannon - these use a beam battery-like mechanic,
possibly using 'virtual damage' (my vote) or basing the thresholds done
by the number of hits scored. They affect 1 target ship per use.

'EMP Bolt' aka ION torpedo - use the pulse torpedo mechanic to determine
if it hits.

'EMP Missiles' either big MT types or salvos.

We _could_ consider area effect EMP weapons (based on plasma bolt or
wave gun or even WEF mechanics) - but these are going to be very nasty,
and hence, very big and expensive, and unlikely to see general use.
(In other words, lets not worry about them just now).

I think I still support my 'birtual damage' mechanic for the time being,
on the grounds that its probably easier to balance and a weapon that, if
it hits, causes a shipwide threshold with some set threshold number,
although, admittedly, it has its own problems.

Well, is this a way forward - or backward?

Prev: Re: [FT] BTG Conversions Next: TO&E questions