Prev: RE: (OT) What I love to hate was Re: [OT] Mini Pictures Next: RE: (OT) What I love to hate was Re: [OT] Mini Pictures

RE: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:42:10 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

Continuing:

Ion Cannon: Like Beth, I'm not a big fan of the "damage list".Difficult
balance (Mass and cost trades are discussed) Changing to needle like
mechanics changes the weapon's nature and is another can of worms IMO.
The
"List" could be eliminated by either the attackng player chosing the
order
of system checks (as in Powerleech) or alternating the attacking player
and
defending player switching off, though that makes the record keeping
harder.

EMP Mine: Id on;t like mines, so I'm not commenting.

Ion Pulse Cannon: Still think it should decrease range and have screens
shift effect one range band/level.

Scrambler Pulse: Possibly cheap for effect, Though I'm not really sure.
certainly disagree with Brendan that it needs to be 8-10 mass. Most will
not
be able to fire more than a couple times/game, making them roughly equal
MT EMP missiles. It can't fire unitil it's well within Class 2 beam
range.
And don't forget it's got a Miss on 1-2. It would also be easy to reduce
effect 1 step: 3-4 All systems rol thresh 6+; 5-6 All systems roll
thresh at
5+.

TDG: Too complicated. Genre weapon for role playing effect.

Powerleech: I like Brendan's suggestion, but that's really an alternate
(and
weaker) effect for the basic EMP MT missile. I'd rather drop the
threshold
check altogether and just make the effect an advance of the threshold
level.
(MT Missile:1-2 No effect, 3+ Ship's threshold level increases by 1; SM
round, Threshold level increases by 1 for every 3 (or 4, depending on
balance) missiles that hit in one turn).

IPW: I don't like this damage list, which is more complicated than the
Ion
Cannon's. One example problem - the "weapons hit" still has room for
play -
it doesn't give you choice order between like mass weapons - I'd happily
risk a Needle beam for a class 2 most of the time. I understand
Brendan's
dislike of "shipwide" thresholds, but they are much simpler than damage
lists, which have to be thought out to almost the same level of detail
as
the dreaded SFB damage table. I prefer a weaker-but-shipwide EMP
threshold
effect, or the	choosing mechanic in the original Powerleech ("attacker
chooses order of system checks" although "defender chooses order" could
work
fine as well.).

EMP Missile: Reasonable transition of EMP MT Missile. perhaps weaken it
bit, especially since the affect is cumulative for multiple rounds.:
1-2 or less  no effect
     3-4   systems KO on roll of 6
     5	 systems KO on roll of 5+