Prev: Re: FT-Improved armour Next: SMLs, fire control & arcs

SG2 CDMs

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 16:17:23 -0500
Subject: SG2 CDMs

>	1) The rules say the CDM, when activated, attacks the
> closest unit.  Shouldn't that be "closest enemy unit", or
> can I really blow my own guys to hell by setting the damn
> thing off?

How tech are your mines? If everyone has IFF, the mine (being
unselective)
probably won't blow if there's a friendly in the arc. When a CDM is
triggered, it'll usually blast in about a 60 degree arc  (or was that 30
degrees) and shred anything nearby in the arc, friend or enemy, hitting
the
nearest squad that is actually in the area of effect (I guess blocking
the
pellets). So you put them _in_front_ of your units facing out.

>	2) How far away from my unit can I place a CDM?  Is it
> acceptable to have a unit move to the edge of cover, go into
> position, and then place the CDM an inch or two outside of
> cover?

Radio detonated? I'd make you make a comms role. Otherwise, 10" might be
reasonable (for a wire detonator - 100m? If its Radio detonated, it'd be
jammable. It could be detonated by sensors or tripwire too.

I think I'd let a CDM be placed in front of a unit IP, but
_right_in_front_
not 10m out....

>	3) Will a CDM blast even stop a close-assault?

If it causes casualties, I'd say yes (just like reaction fire).

  I would
> think it should be treating as final defensive fire under
> the close assault rules (need to cause a casualty) but I have
> no idea if that's the correct reading or if that mimics real
> world tactics.  Do people hunker down after a claymore goes
> off?

That's quite right.

>	Final question, related to the incident: Can an
> unactivated unit use reaction fire against a close assaulting
> unit that needs two combat moves to get to the target
> unit?

YES. If they are the unit being charged. Otherwise no. Though if you
used
some of the optional overwatch and snap/reaction fire rules, this close
assault frenzy could be easily defused (but they are optional.

  My command squad was unactivated and had a good view
> of the action, and it seems to me they should have been able
> to fire upon the PA as it charged.  Of course, this didn't
> occur to me until afterwards, and again, I don't know if the
> rules support this.

Out of the box, no. Commonly used, yes.

> I had this question also. And if reaction fire (or overwatch
> fire if using
> those house rules) is allowed, what would be the result of
> suppression/casualties on the assaulting force?

Any casualties stop the assault, any suppressions are shrugged off. If
it is
ruled a legal move. I use overwatch and snap fire myself, so I rarely
have

Prev: Re: FT-Improved armour Next: SMLs, fire control & arcs