Prev: RE: [SG2] Sample platoon organization - request advice Next: Re: [sg] Support Weapon Questions

RE: [SG2] Sample platoon organization - request advice

From: mark.langsdorf@a...
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:25:51 -0600
Subject: RE: [SG2] Sample platoon organization - request advice

> From: Owen Glover [mailto:oglover@bigpond.net.au]
>
> Mark,
>
> Good comments so far. We have been using the house rule mod
> much discussed regarding adding a Firepower Die AND Firecon
> die for Heavy Weapons vs infantry and it has been giving a
> good feel. For the size 1 and 2 weapons we
> use the D10 or D12 impact as well! 50Cal/20mm do pack a punch eh?

	I saw that rule, and liked the potential.  It might
be a bit much, though I suppose it's not really all that
much more fire power than a standard fireteam with SAW.

> My only comment regarding a heavy wepaon like this at a
> platoon level would be impact on mobility. Now, say you
> are motorised troops then they would expect to have the
> wheels to cart this big beast (AND it's huge ammunition
> supply) around. Whilst mounted it can be a mobile fire
> platform perhaps, but dismounted for defensive or fire
> support for assaults etc.

	Good point.  Maybe I'll downshift the firepower by a
die or two when firing as manpack to simulate the fact that
the gunner is tapping VERY short bursts.

> On another point, MGs are usually allocated/tasked in pairs.
> Interlocking arcs and mutual support are two key considerations in
siting
> MGs. So you should see MGs in use in numbers more than one. Otherwise
> they are just a fast firing rifle!?

	I suppose I could throw a second MG into the platoon TO&E,
though that does bump the size up to 44 men.  But it fits in
with the battalion organizational structure of undersized command
group, 3 maneuver elements, and a heavy weapons element fairly
well, so I'll think about it.

Prev: RE: [SG2] Sample platoon organization - request advice Next: Re: [sg] Support Weapon Questions