Prev: RE: [SG] jetpack question and Nuns with Guns Next: RE: [SG2] Sample platoon organization - request advice

RE: [SG2] Sample platoon organization - request advice

From: mark.langsdorf@a...
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:19:20 -0600
Subject: RE: [SG2] Sample platoon organization - request advice

> From: Allan Goodall [mailto:awg@sympatico.ca]
>
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 14:20:40 -0600, mark.langsdorf@amd.com wrote:
>
> >	M10MG - FP d8, Impact d10.
> >	M15RPG - FP d10, Impact d10*.  (Unguided light rocket
> >		launcher).
> >	M201 - RAC/1 on ground mount.  Fire control d6 (Basic),
> >		Impact d10*.
> >
> >	Is it really worthwhile to include the M201?  I like
> >the idea of having a "heavy" machine gun in each platoon,
> >but I don't know if the rules support the idea very well.
>
> Technically speaking, the rules don't really handle it very
> well. The RFAC/1 is a Heavy Weapon. That means the impact on
> dispersed targets (infantry squads) is D8. The D10* is only
> used against vehicles. If you want a machine gun, you've got
> the various SAWs listed, the best being a Gauss Machine Gun
> (FP D10, Impact D12). But this, in turn, has very little
> anti-[vehicle] capability.

	I was aware of the rules, but I was hoping that people's
experiences would work out differently.

> What's needed is an RFAC/1 - SAW hybrid. Something that has
> perhaps a D8 or D10 firepower and a D10* impact. This would
> represent a high velocity weapon with armour piercing capability.
>
> Of course, a simple way to handle this is to just allow RFACs
> to have a D10 impact (instead of D8) against dispursed targets.
> This may be what you are implying with the D10* impact designation.

	Something like that.  It remains to be seen how tolerant
my local SG2 group will be to rules variants, though the fact
that one player wants to use VOR Neo-Soviets means I have some
bargaining space.

> At any rate, there is a need for this kind of weapon at the
> platoon level.

	Oh, good.  At least the idea is sound.

> One question, why a D6, basic fire control system? If you are
> using the regular rules, where the RFAC only does D8 impact against
> infantry, I suggest an Enhanced (D8) fire control system, minimum.

	I'm envisioning this platoon as being from a relatively
poor, Balkanized colony world, which is why they use an RPG
instead of a GMS/P.  Similarly, they just don't have the
technology infrastructure for Enhanced Fire Control.

Prev: RE: [SG] jetpack question and Nuns with Guns Next: RE: [SG2] Sample platoon organization - request advice