Prev: Re: Sci-Fi Crossover after action report Next: Re: [FT] Vacuum-Head Help Required!

Re: [FT] Vacuum-Head Help Required!

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <s_schoon@p...>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 19:03:10 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] Vacuum-Head Help Required!

OK sports fans, time to dig out the old physics books :-)

>Planet diameter Dp = 6-8" (6000-8000 km);
>Game scale = 1000 km/inch;
>Turn length = 15-20 minutes;
>Q1: Do I want such objects in geosynch or non-geosynch orbit? Why? Why
not?

This depends on a bunch of things: how many defsats are you going to
put around this world; are they likely to survive long enough for
them to gain any possible advantage from being rotated out of the
line of fire; is the planet going to benefit from a new one coming
into play or are your attackers going to simply pick on the weak spot
no matter where it happens to be?

>Q2: In whichever case you suggest is appropriate (geosynch,
non-geosynch),
>what is an appropriate distance from the centre of the world to locate
these
>satellites for a standard non-decaying orbit?

We're going to assume circular orbits just to keep things simple...
The equation we use is r=[(G*M*T^2)/(4*pi^2)]^1/3, where G is the
gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and T is the
desired period.
For Earth, that boils down to 4.23*10^7 m for a period of 1 day
That's 4.23*10^4 km, or 42.3 inches at your game scale

>Q3: How fast should these move in one of these 15-20 minute turns?
Would
>your answer be measured in angular degrees per turn or in inches along
the
>orbital path?

v=(2*pi*r)/T
For Earth again, that gives v=3076 m/s
Assuming a game turn of 15 minutes that hashes out to 2.76 in/turn
along the orbital path

>Q4: Would your answers to the above questions change, and how, if these
>platforms purpose was to act as ortillery platforms and as surveillance
>platforms for the planet rather than defense sats? And would it be
possible
>to have one satellite constellation provide both roles? If so, what
orbital
>parameters would such a system require?

Ortillery platforms would not be geostationary, as they would be
needed at different points around the planet. Same for surveillance
platforms, except in the case of a specific place that needs constant
observation. As for the parameters, pick your period (estimating how
many times you'd like it to go over a certain point per day) and use
the above equations.

>Q5: Is there any modification to weapon attacks against these platforms
that
>is appropriate given they occupy a fairly set movement pattern and are
>therefore inherently predicatble? Treat effective range as 75% of
actual
>range or some such thing?

Not according to the current rules. It might be assumed that they
have small thrusters suitable for evasion, but not for movement. KISS

>Q6: Should these be constructed as ships without drives or FTL but
otherwise
>as a vessel?

Yup.

Schoon

Prev: Re: Sci-Fi Crossover after action report Next: Re: [FT] Vacuum-Head Help Required!