Prev: SG2 vehicle targeting not good enough? Next: RE: SG2 vehicle targeting not good enough?

Re: Flea markets, Con auctions and swap-and-sell Re: [OT] SellingFigs, old game

From: Mark Reindl <mreindl@p...>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 14:53:19 -0800
Subject: Re: Flea markets, Con auctions and swap-and-sell Re: [OT] SellingFigs, old game

I've used Ebay quite a bit.  If you're looking for the best possible
prices for
your items, it's the way to go, although as has been said before, timing
is
important.  I usually keep an eye out for items similar to what I'm
selling to
see what they're going for before I sell mine.	If you're bound and
determined
to get a minimum price, you can always use a reserve bid, which I almost
never
do.  Another place that I would strongly suggest for online sales is
Bartertown
(www.bartertown.org).  I've sold quite a few items through there as
well, and
it's a great place if you're looking for good bargains or to trade.  I
would
caution you though, be sure to check references for people on B-town,
and also
be sure to specify to shippers that they pack your merchandise carefully
if
they're sending anything to you.  One consistent problem that I've had
with
trades on Bartertown is that most people seem content to throw the minis
in a
box with no padding.  I've had that happen with a couple of trades
recently,
making me *much* warier about doing trades anymore (may have something
to do
with the fact that I'm pretty anal-retentive about packaging things well
when I
send them, and expect that others take the same view.  Unfortunately I
am
disappointed more often than not these days in that respect).

Mark

Kevin Walker wrote:

> on 11/1/00 9:22, Peter Mancini at peter_mancini@msn.com wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> > However, if someone here does use ebay - pipe up.  What has it been
like?
> > Tell us the good and the bad.  Now I am interested, because I have
several
> > models I want to sell (mainly the larger scale B5 miniatures as I
have
> > converted to the Fleet Action scale.)
>
> I've used eBay for both selling and buying.  With some precautions
it's been
> mainly a positive experience for me.	When selling I usually request
some
> sort of certified funds as personal checks can bounce and I dislike
having
> to hold merchandise for up to or over two weeks to make sure the funds
> clear.  Besides if the payment bounces it's difficult to recover your
> service charge that usually goes hand in hand.  One thing to be wary
of in
> selling - in the USA it's difficult to go after someone legally for
bouncing
> a check unless it's over 200-300 dollars.  Private collection
institutions
> are a possibility but their cost is usually prohibitive unless your on
> subscription plan.
>
> Please release that these opinions are related only my personal
experiences
> and are not necessarily indicative of what you may experience.
Remember