Prev: Re: [OT] Looking for our GZGverse Japanese faction Next: Re: Mini Related Questions

Re: To Dave and Andy: Re: Mini Related Questions

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 3 Oct 2000 13:53:13 -0700
Subject: Re: To Dave and Andy: Re: Mini Related Questions

On Tue, 03 October 2000, devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> Actually, I think 'true 25mm' is closer to 1/64th, though certain
apostates
> on this list will claim 1/72th or 1/48th.

The problem is that "25mm" is in the eye of the beholder. In general,
the plast
ic model manufacturers seem to be a bit better at keeping the scale
accurate th
an metal miniatures manufacturers. There was a post on
rec.games.miniatures.his
torical about someone who was comparing 25mm US World War 2 figures to
1/48 sca
le Shermans, and the scale wasn't radically out.

Yes, technically 1/64 is more accurate. However, I rarely see 1/64
except for t
he occasional Lledo diecast car (which I've been collecting for use with
Call o
f Cthulhu miniatures). 1/48 scale, though, isn't bad. I've also seen
1/43 scale
 diecast cars that are close, too.

It really depends. If possible, a sample mini should be compared to the
finishe
d product.

>On the other hand, if your tanks
> have to be Evil Empire(tm) steel behemouths, go for 1/35th. A WWII
German
> AFV, say an sp-gun or, my favorite, a Maus, can be made into a truly
> horrifying monstrosity.

I never bought it, but there are 1/35 scale armoured railroad cars from
World W
ar 2 (German, mostly) by one of the Japanese manufacturers. They would
make exc
ellent kitbashed grav vehicles.

While we're on the topic, 1/87 Rocco minitanks make very good 15mm
vehicles, le
ft alone or kitbashed. I tend to use German vehicles (modern Marder
APCs, or th
e latest variant of the Leopard II) as they aren't as recognizable in
North Ame
rica.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: Re: [OT] Looking for our GZGverse Japanese faction Next: Re: Mini Related Questions