Prev: Re: Nations ? was: Pirates and Privateers Next: Re: Pirates and Privateers (Kra'Vak Clan War)

Re:[OT] German 1848 Navy was: Pirates and Privateers

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: 27 Sep 2000 08:23 GMT
Subject: Re:[OT] German 1848 Navy was: Pirates and Privateers

> > Two cases in point:
> > In 1848, the German states formed a federation, which also had
> > a Navy.
> > Until the British Government recognised the joint German flag,
> > the ships officially were registered in the various states.
>
> To which the proper reply is:
> "Why should non-recognition by a bunch of ignorant foreigners
> have any effect on the reality of our government?"

Because at that time the Royal Navy was THE NAVY and might have taken a
dim view of vessels from a non-entity sailing the seas or even - god
forbid - interfering with free trade (as, say, customs revenue cutters)
or
taking belligerent action against, say, Denmark. They could,
technically, have been treated as pirates.

The German navy was very small then.

And, as already remarked by others, the law of the sea was something to
be observed. A serious breach woul dhave acusde quite an uproar and
negative consequences.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: Nations ? was: Pirates and Privateers Next: Re: Pirates and Privateers (Kra'Vak Clan War)