Prev: RE: The iCloak Next: Re: The iCloak

Re: iCloack

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 15:24:23 -0400
Subject: Re: iCloack

stiltman@teleport.com wrote:

> > Hmmm, how about roll normal die for missiles, subtract 5 for a
> > still, nonFiring iCloak.  Each PDS used counts as a class one
> > against missiles.
>
> Murphy had something to say about this:  "Tracers work both ways."
>
> Loosely translated, I'd say that if you want to have the iCloak affect
the
> missiles, you shouldn't fire at any of them or else the guidance
software
> on all the other ones will triangulate where those beams came from
with a
> cathartic, "Hey, there you are!  Thanks, I was having some trouble
finding
> you..."  ;)

That would depend entirely on what PSB you use for your PDS' (do they
fire slugs or some sort of energy discharge - and if an energy
discharge,
what is the spectrum of the emmission? can the SMs 'read' that emmission
or is it basically invisible to them?). You'll have to determine these
assumptions ahead of time.

> Question:  should a ship with a conventional cloaking device be
allowed to
> drop it down to an iCloak level as a "medium point" between full-cloak
and
> full-visible?  I'd think so...

Guess it depends if you want to have fading cloaks or not. This, again,
would be dependent on what time scale you assume things are operating in
with regards to the/your FT universe. Given the assumption of 1 Thrust
is equivalent to 1 g acceleration, iirc it was worked out that a single
FT turn came out to be ~20 minutes long - I, personally, don't feel like
fading in/out for 20 whole minutes ;-)

Mk

Prev: RE: The iCloak Next: Re: The iCloak