Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku starbases Next: RE: FB2... hmmmm...

Re: FB2... hmmmm...

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 13:32:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: FB2... hmmmm...

wrote:
> > And I agree with you... the longer I think about the Sa'Vasku the
more
> > imbalanced they potentially seem.

> <ping> too weak
> <ping> too strong
> <ping> ...

Heh... yeah, it's hard to say.	But Oerjan's comment about a ship being
able
to throw 13 drone groups and _then_ go at thrust 9 or throw some very
powerful
beam fire at you, and costing less than a human carrier with thrust 1,
fragile
hull, and 13 fighter bays w/ fighters... ouch.	Hadn't done the math on
the
Sa'Vasku examples yet, but that's something of a sobering thought.

> > We don't use them, and we also allow recombining of wounded groups
into
> > larger wholes even if we did.  When there's 240+ fighters out there
with
> > you, losing three of your buddies doesn't seem like a reason to
panic to us.
> >  :)

> This one has been discussed to death on the list.  There seem to be
too
> conflicting opinions.

> Those who don't use morale rules and say they are too strong.

> Those who use morale rules and don't have a problem.

> Using your extreme example.

> If I have to take out 41x6=246 fighters with a 5K fleet I am in
trouble.
> If I have to take out 41x3=123 fighters with a 5K fleet I can handle
>  that.

I can sort of see your implication... OTOH, the people I play with don't
use
them and don't see fighters as too strong anyway.  I've had fighter
superiority
and won; I've given up fighter superiority and won.  I don't agree with
the
logic behind morale rules (as I said, if you've got over 200 fighters
with
you in a given battle, losing most of a particular five doesn't strike
me
as something that's going to put the fear of the cosmic gods into you)
and
I don't terribly worry about fighters being invincible either way.  Even
though
we have house rules that are fairly friendly to fighters (e.g. no
morale, and
functional immunity to mass destruction weapons on the assumption that
their
ability to outmaneuver the likes of the Yamato and the Death Star are
givens)
we don't consider them unbeatable.  If someone throws a phalanx with
three
digits' worth of PDS and the carrier guy on the other side hasn't
brought
needle or mass destruction help, the latter is probably in for a long
day even
by our house rules.
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku starbases Next: RE: FB2... hmmmm...