Prev: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff. Next: Re: GMS/P vs. IAVR

RE: [SG2][DS2] Gauss Weapons vs. CPR

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:52:29 PDT
Subject: RE: [SG2][DS2] Gauss Weapons vs. CPR

>From: "Steve Gill" <Steve@caws.demon.co.uk>
>To: <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
>Subject: RE: [SG2][DS2] Gauss Weapons vs. CPR
>Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:27:31 +0100
>

>Brian Bilderback
>

>Ouch! Sorry, but that's unlikely to be a popular option for a couple of
>reasons.
>
>Snipers currently depend on being able to take two shots in fairly
rapid
>succession so you'd have to increase your capacitor size somewhat.

Or use a pair of capacitors and an automatic switch of some sort.

>Too many things to go wrong - snipers hate that. There's nothing as
>miserable as spending a week or two crawling onto target to find you
have
>an equipment failure and have to go all the way back again. A spare
spring
>and firing pin are easy to carry, but spare batteries and capacitors?

Springs and firing pins are also moving parts, which are much more
likely to
NEED replacing.  And with advances in tech, batteries and capacitors
shouldn't weigh too much or take up too much space.

>Weapon weight is not a problem.

No? Then why hasn't the Barret Light 50 replaced every other sniper
rifle
out there?  It's accurate, has incredible range, and carries the full
authority of a .50 calibre round.  But it's also a bear to lug, which
limits
it's use.

>Isn't a gauss weapon very likely to leave a trail back to the firer?

I can't see why, at least not any more than a conventional weapon.

Brian Bilderback

Prev: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff. Next: Re: GMS/P vs. IAVR