Prev: Re: Was Support Weapons in SGII now DSII Next: Re: Was Support Weapons in SGII now DSII

Re: New SG2 weapons table a la Atkinson

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 20:55:07 -0400
Subject: Re: New SG2 weapons table a la Atkinson

"Thomas.Barclay" wrote:

> Hi John
>
> Very similar to what I use. Only I find the idea of the GPMG and SAW
(Minimi
> and MAG 58) as being equated as kind of wrong. Over the longer term,
the MAG
> 58 has better sustained fire capability. I'd therefore follow Owen G's
lead
> and assign the Minimi a D6 FP. This also cuts down the ubersquad where
you

A d6?  It's got a really high ROF, which puts much lead into the impact
area, which is what the firepower stat represents.  Machine guns are the
second-leading cause of injury and death on post-1900 battlefield (after
fragmentation from assorted sources).  It should be damned scary when
they start shooting at you.  There's a reason the US Army went from
1xM-60 per squad to 2xM-249.  Lots o' projectiles.

> have 8 men (six riflemen, two SAWs). This leads to either two four man
> squads with FP D10 (AAR) + D6 (SAW) or 1 big squad with FP D12 (AARs)
and
> 2D6 (SAWs) - far less horrendous than D10 or D12 options for FP for
the SAW.

I run 2xSAWs, 6xAR/GL (small caliber).	Gauss, to boot.
d12+2d10+quality dice.	It's supposed to be nasty.  Plus 4 IAVRs spread
among the squad.  They are not nice to run into--which is the point.
Since the invention of the machine gun, the trend in every army worth a
damn has been to jack the number of machine guns steadily higher, and
the lighten them as much as possible.  We've gone from 4 heavy aircooled
guns per batallion in WWII to 2 per squad in the US Army.  It makes
sense to me.

> Nice work otherwise. I think I might actually have given the AGL 2d8*
impact
> for AT grenades.

20mm is, IMHO, too small for the shaped charge effect to really make a
difference.

John M. Atkinson
"There can never be too many projectiles in a battle."
		--General George S. Patton, USA

Prev: Re: Was Support Weapons in SGII now DSII Next: Re: Was Support Weapons in SGII now DSII