Prev: Re: EW Question Next: Re: EW Question

Re: Underwater Rules

From: wargamergmw@j...
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:06:40 EDT
Subject: Re: Underwater Rules

Okay, let's take a look at this.  I don't own (yet) Dirtside II but I
think I can ask a few questions/make a few observations:

Drives:

Tracked, wheeled - no go.
Hovercraft - no go unless you can produce a bubble effect under the ship
for the fans to push off of.  Or 'fly' at a ninety degree tilt?
Gravetic drives - why not?  Gravity is the same under water, right?
(Maybe I call the geodesy guys at work tomorrow, just to be sure.)
Screw, paddles (oh yeah, right!) and propulsors (like the neat RN subs
use.) - designed to be there.

Weapons:

Okay, lasers could ba attuned in advance for underwater operations,
would
missiles and mass drive system weapons be reduced significantly
(guessing
yes), and how would you design 'torpedoes' that would work underwater
and
be carried by craft not originally designed for underwater combat
(assumes not using underwater specific designs.)

Since I use the Nektons in Starguard (Amphibians using jetpacks that fly
at 20" and 'fly' underwater at 10") this kind of issue is very
intriguing.  Wish I had signed up on the list earlier!

Assuming battalion style combat, how would off-table weapons be
reflected? Same? Different? would Arty on land firing into water in
support suffer any penalty?  What about 'aerospace' support craft?
Replaced by surface skimmers acting like upgraded FF's?  Or would they
be
airborne assets like today's ASW Heli/planes?

Assuming an archipelago (only underwater, mostly at least)
nation/planetary force is defending, what about the trade off with
tri-phibious versus amphibious (air/sea or land/sea) versus 'submarine'
craft - where you penalize the multi-environment craft over the
specialized 'purely naval' forces of the attuned/designed defense
forces?

Infantry:

Lights 'swimming' with normal human abilities and re-breathers;  'mobile
lights' using underwater scooters and re-breathers;  heavy infantry with
or without scooters; 'mech' Infantry using submersible APC's;	Mecha
Walkers striding along the bottom of shallow (<100 Meters) water
positions.

Artmor, Air strike, Artillery blending into and with submarines - Whoa,
were do I sign up for this ga,e?

Gracias.
Glenn Wilson, Triple Threat Wargamer - (loses equally well in
SF/Fantasy/Historical Games.)  Prefers Fantasy Dwarves, Starguard
Science
Fiction, 1500-1700 North America Skirmishes, the First Crusade, and most
anything prior to firing pins and Machine Guns

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Prev: Re: EW Question Next: Re: EW Question