Prev: Walker/Grav Mobility Next: [FT] Derek's EW

SG2: Aerospace Morale House Rule

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@i...>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 22:08:38 -0400
Subject: SG2: Aerospace Morale House Rule

During my GenCon scenario playtest we encountered an interesting
situation.
The Japanese player had extracted enough soldiers to draw. With one last
missile, the NSL player fired at the remaining VTOL transport, hitting
it but
not penetrating it. The transport rolls a 2 on the +2 Confidence test
(Veteran
2, needing >4 on a D10 to stay) and aborts his mission.

This got us into a discussion of aerospace vehicles and the nasty
Confidence
Test that can have them abort even the most important of missions. This
rule,
in fact, is part of the reason I don't use ADE in the scenario. I don't
want
the Japanese player losing the scenario simply because the transports
were
shot down (or worse, bug out) before reaching the battlefield.

So, I came up with the following house rule:

All aerospace craft have morale levels. They (usually) start at
Confident.
When an aerospace vehicle must make a +2 Confidence Test, it does so,
but if
it fails it does NOT immediately abort. Instead it drops morale levels
like a
normal unit.

If the aerospace unit is Confident or Steady, it operates as normal. If
it
becomes Shaken, it immediately moves from the table top to the Loiter
Box. In
order to leave the Loiter Box to move to the table top, a Shaken unit
must
make a Reaction Test in the same way a Shaken unit must make a Reaction
Test
to move towards the enemy. If the aerospace unit becomes Broken or
Routed, it
aborts the mission.

This gives more flexibility while not complicating the game. In fact, it
slightly simplifies it because aerospace units now behave almost exactly
like
ground units.

I look forward to questions and comments!

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com
Goodall's Grotto: http://www.interlog.com/~agoodall/

Prev: Walker/Grav Mobility Next: [FT] Derek's EW