Prev: Re: Re: books Next: SG2: Aerospace Morale House Rule

Walker/Grav Mobility

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 18:24:28 PDT
Subject: Walker/Grav Mobility

I had a chat with Andrew Martin today about the issue of Walker
mobility,
and with his help I was able to put some concrete house rule ideas on
screen. Let me run by what we came up with for the group's
consideration:

I was talking with him specifically about A: Road Wheels and tracks on
walkers a la Heavy Gear & VOTOMs (sp?) and B: Jump Jets a la Battletech.

I definitely want to allow class 2 infantry walkers and class 3 combat
walkers. For the rest of this discussion we'll lump them all together as

Combat Walkers, to generalize them but distinguish them from transport
walkers, which do not benefit from these rules (given their less gainly
nature and the fragility of their cargo).

First of all, class 1 & 2 walkers may be designed with road
wheels/tracks.
This takes up no extra space, but does increas the walker's mobility
cost
from 100% BVP to 120% BVP.  The only change in mobility is that this
allows
these walkers to treat roads as easy terrain.

All combat walkers may be equipped with jump jets. Again, space
consideration is minimal, but cost increases.

If you increase the Mobility Cost to 200% BVP, the walker may ignore any

obstacle that is 1" or less in both height and width. In addition,
Mountains
and Woods become Normal terrain, and Urban areas become Poor terrain.

If you increase the Mobility Cost to 300% BVP, you gain all of the above

benefits, Plus the walker is now capable of performing pop-up attacks
similar to VTOL's.

Class 1 and 2 walkers may be equipped with either wheels, jets, or
neither,
but NOT with both.

Class 3-7 walkers are too heavy and ungainly for road wheels.

Brian Bilderback

As an aside, I have been working on rules for allowing Grav vehicles to
perform pop-ups and low-level flight, a la Renegade LEgion, perhaps some
of
what I've come up with today will be applicable in that respect as well.

Prev: Re: Re: books Next: SG2: Aerospace Morale House Rule