Prev: Tank vision systems Next: RE: Fractional Hull Masses (was: FT III)

4th Heavy Beams

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 06:25:57 -0800
Subject: 4th Heavy Beams

Hi All,

This will be my last post for a bit, as my weekend duty will consume all
my
attention for the next 4 days. Changes sice last time:

[1] BPS power generation is now set at 1/2 capacity.

[2] MASS and POINT COSTs have been adjusted downwards to reflect this
reduction in efficiency.

[3] Threshold damage rules cleaned slightly, but essentially left
unchanged. No extra damage to the ship at the first threshold (stored
EPs
are lost), but stored EPs are scored upon destruction.

The Heavy Beams "rules" as they stand now are remarkably simple. I like
it
so far, but I'm sure they can still be improved - just as I'm sure that
you'll all let me know how... ;-)

Heavy Beams

Heavy Beams consist of two (or more) systems on the SSD: the Beam Power
System (BPS) and at least one Beam Emitter (BE).

The BPS is a combination of generator, capacitor, and discharger that
can
store a number of Energy Points (EPs) up to twice its class rating. It
can
discharge any number of stored EPs through any given Emitter.

The BPS generates power at the beginning of each turn, During Step 1:
Write
Orders for All Ships. The BPS receives half of its EP capacity each
turn. A
damaged BPS, having failed one threshold, receives a quarter (rounding
down).

When taking damage and a BPS fails a threshold check, they are not
automatically knocked out of commission. Instead, they are treated in
much
the same manner as drives. The first failed threshold halves the
capacity
of the system, making it equal to, rather than twice, its class. Its
power
generation is reduced as detailed above. A BPS failing its first
threshold
also looses all stored EPs. The second hit destroys the system and
inflicts
an additional number of damage points equal to the number of EPs
currently
stored in the BPS.

Beam Power System:
Class 1 3 MASS	9 POINT COST	2 EP Capacity
Class 2 6 MASS	12 POINT COST	4 EP Capacity
Class 3 9 MASS	18 POINT COST	6 EP Capacity
Šetc.

EPs must be channeled through a Beam Emitter. Each BE is linked to a
single
BPS, and may make use of any EPs stored therein, up to its emission
limit.
A BE must be larger to handle a larger power load channeled through it.
BE may use a number of EPs up to twice its class.

When firing, each EP assigned to a BE allows one die roll. Subtract one
from this die for each full 6 MU of range, and the result is the damage
done to the target. For example: A ship allocates 3 EPs to a BE, firing
at
a target 15" away. The 3 dice roll 2, 4, and 5. The dice are scored 0,
2,
and 3, resulting in 5 damage points to the target. Emitters are affected
normally by threshold rolls. Emitters fire though only one arc.

Screens and Kra'Vak type armor affect heavy beams the same way. Each
level
subtracts one from the roll for each EP. Heavy beams are affected by
Human
type armor in the same manner as normal beams.

Beam Emitter:
Class 1 1 MASS	3 POINT COST
Class 2 2 MASS	6 POINT COST
Class 3 3 MASS	9 POINT COST
Šetc.

Prev: Tank vision systems Next: RE: Fractional Hull Masses (was: FT III)