Prev: Re: Re:Tanks vs. APCs Next: Re: [FT] : No plotted movement

Re: [FT] Heavy Beams

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 14:20:37 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Heavy Beams

>From Schoon and Tony:

>> When taking damage and a BPS fails a threshold check, they are not
>> automatically knocked out of commission. Instead, after failing the
>> threshold, roll one die:
[etc...]

> I'd prefer to see it take the second damage result each
> time (ie lose all stored energy and halve capacity) which is analogous
> way damage is inflicted on manouevre drives.

I'd agree on this one. Simple=good.

>> Beam Power System:
>> Class 1 4 MASS  12 POINT COST
>> Class 2 8 MASS  24 POINT COST
>> Class 3 16 MASS 48 POINT COST
>> ...the progression follows as for Beam weapons.

>> Beam Emitter:
>> 2 MASS  6 POINT COST

Why would I ever want on e class 3 BPS + one emitter when I could have
2xClass 2's... unless, as in SMR's, only one BPS can feed any given
emitter.
And even if that's the case, I'd think 2 Class 2's and 2 emitters is
almost
always better than 1 class 3 and one, even with the 2 extra mass.

Also if we're comparing Heavy Beams with P-Torps, are we figuring in
P-Torps
multi-arc capabilities (and Beth's screen level damage reduction)?
That's a
significant limitation on the HB not present for Torps.

Noam

Prev: Re: Re:Tanks vs. APCs Next: Re: [FT] : No plotted movement