Prev: Re: Max Thrust Next: Re: [FT] Heavy Beams

Re: Re:Tanks vs. APCs

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 20:14:53 +0100
Subject: Re: Re:Tanks vs. APCs

Michael Llaneza wrote:

> >The Israelis have discovered that a tank hull makes a good APC. I
can't
> >remember if it is a T-55 or T-62 hull or what, but they've created
an
> >APC that holds 8-10 guys,

[snip]

> That would be the Merkava. Custom hull and turret, MkIII & IV models

No, it wouldn't. The Merkavas are able to carry an infantry squad - up
to 10 men for the MkI and MkII (but only by reducing the number of main
gun rounds by half). I	haven't seen any figures on the MkIII, but it
only carries 48 120mm rounds at full load (*no* infantry carried), so I
imagine that they're not too keen on carrying full squads in those...
24 rounds isn't that much when you want to carry at least two ammo
types :-/

The MkIV is still under development and will take some more years
before being deployed in its primary role, much less being rebuilt as a
pure APC.

The Merkavas are quite impressive vehicles... too bad you can't build
anything like them using the DSII vehicle design rules :-/ (Ultra-light
artillery with a decent amount of ammo, room for a 2-element infantry
squad and a size-4 gun... no mechanism for reducing the main gun
magazine in DSII - yet <g>)

However, the Israelis have also re-built lots of old tanks - the
Merkava MkIII's aren't old - into pure APCs, just like Thomas said. I
don't remember which type they used either, but I can check that
tomorrow.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Max Thrust Next: Re: [FT] Heavy Beams