Prev: Re: Idiots Guide to Wave Guns? Next: Some ideas

Re: Copyrights

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:57:33 -0500
Subject: Re: Copyrights

From: Thomas.Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca>

>** Err, Mark, if I did this myself its okay.....

....no, that's not what the man said....

>.... what if I did it with a Robot? - that is it was personal
use only, but

That's where you're missing it.  "Personal use only" is legal
only if you have obtained permission.

Let's take another example, because I still can't believe that
anyone would be willing (much less desiring) to put Beavis &
Butthead on anything, especially a mini you've worked hard on
and hope to show to other people.

Let's say Mr. Munchkin wants a fleet of 100 of	cruisers but
doesn't have the cash to cover it.  He decides to buy one pack,
get some RTV, and turn out his own copies.  Personal use only,
mind you.  Do you think Jon would have a reason to be upset?
He worked hard <TROWEL mode> drew dozens of sketches, groping
dimly for hours towards the perfection of form and
function</TROWEL> <CONFIDENTIAL TO JON> FSE Jerez, not
Claudia--jeez, what are you, a teenager?</CONFIDENTIAL> <TROWEL>
spent late nights carving intricate details and casting figures,
and long weary days calling game shops and distributors, many of
whom had never heard of him (in some cases after he'd had a
thirty minute conversation with them four days previously--but
nonetheless they insisted on terms of net 60, which means "you
might get paid in three months, but don't bet on it"),
establishing a reputation and distribution channels, and
meanwhile scraping out, through ceaseless diligence, a lifestyle
which would be envied by any starving Siberian coal miner
</TROWEL> and Mr. Munchkin wants to cut into Jon's personal
income because Munchkin's too impatient to buy a few cruisers
this month and a few more next month, _and_ he can't be bothered
to come up with his own design?

That's why copyright law exists.

Prev: Re: Idiots Guide to Wave Guns? Next: Some ideas