Prev: Re: Double-edged Mecha Next: Updated Web site/New base address for FSU

Re: over sized walkers

From: "Scott Case" <tgunner@h...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:36:50 PST
Subject: Re: over sized walkers

> > simple slow tracks with CFEs and mounting HKPs with basic fire
> > control. He simply outnumbered my side by a huge margin (I had a
> > company of fairly hightech MBTs with MDCs and superior fire cons).
>
>You must've used more armour and/or better transmission, though -
>otherwise they wouldn't have been that much more expensive.

I screwed up a bit with those first generation tanks and loaded 'em up
with
more *crap* than they needed- such as ablative armor, point defense
guns,
ecm (all of which was enhanced or better), APFCs, etc... So my tanks
costed
a pretty penny. His tanks were big, well armored, and packed HKP 4s! It
wasn't pretty at all...

> > My tanks nailed his at nearly
> > 1.5:1... but I was slaughtered by the sheer mass of tanks (which > >

> >made
> > me grumble about superior fire cons not being so superior...)
>
>Depends on  the range you're fighting at. The Superior FCs have a >much

>bigger advantage over the Basics at long range than at short - >which
is
>quite realistic, of course. (Desert Storm, anyone? <g>) >'Course, if
you
>can't roll anything but 1s on your to-hit dice

It was ages ago, but I remember that the board was pretty cluttered with
LOS
blocks (hills, trees, buildings, etc), so ranges were 'danger close' all
the
way... thus nullifying my better fire cons. Plus... it didn't help that
the
fight was a movement to contact type (lots of objectives in the middle
of
the board).

I learned my lesson though. The next game I played against the guy I
fielded
a force with cheaper tanks and a large fleet of hovercrafts mounting
GMS/Hs... Pay back was definately a .... ;)

Scott

Prev: Re: Double-edged Mecha Next: Updated Web site/New base address for FSU