Prev: Re: FT tactics vs slow ships, tiny ships are toast Next: Re: Professionalism and Quality in FT terms (long)

RE: Fleet Battles - Squadrons

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@n...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 16:35:03 -0600
Subject: RE: Fleet Battles - Squadrons

Simultaneous fire, can work and I have used it before (PBeM games ;).
One
reason I'm not thrilled with simultaneous fire is that it takes away one
of
the few tactical decisions there are in FT, and one of the complaints I
have
heard about FT is the lack of tactical decisions needed in the game.

In FT, your decisions are 'how to move', 'when to fire' and 'what's your
target'. Games that use simultaneous damage resolution (B5 Wars, SBFBS
for
example) usually replace 'when to fire' with more complicated movement
where
ships move one by one instead of pre-plotted movement.

On all ships in a squadron firing at the same time (back on topic for
the
subject ;)  I think it works best when squadrons are escort ships are
smaller.  Anything cruiser sized or larger is resolved by itself but a
group
of 3 DDs firing at once saves time and effort when gaming a large fleet
battle.

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
For the latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://www.homestead.com/star_ranger/index.html
star_ranger@my-deja.com

Prev: Re: FT tactics vs slow ships, tiny ships are toast Next: Re: Professionalism and Quality in FT terms (long)