Prev: RE: Fleet Battles - Squadrons Next: RE: Fleet Battles - Squadrons

Re: FT tactics vs slow ships, tiny ships are toast

From: GBailey@a...
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:30:01 EST
Subject: Re: FT tactics vs slow ships, tiny ships are toast

Someone suggested using small ships to make a high speed pass,
to either 1) needle beam his drives, 2) knock out his "bonzai jammers"
and then launch missiles.  I see this as a waste of points.

1) against any large ship, especially with us, 4 FC is not uncommon.
So he'll destroy 4 tiny ships with his first ship.  The next 4 with
the next big ship if the fleets are large enough.  Figuring on a
1 hit point ship with its special weapon, mass of 6 or 7, costing
about 25, means to have any chance you need 8 (or more).
There's goes 200 points.  *poof*  gone.  If I have 1500 points it
might be worth to have a few more.  But I see it as a high risk
adventure with slim chance of succeeding (but I did design a
mass 7 suicide needle beamer).

2) Fast ships don't gain any defenses from speed.  So instead
you're wasting valuable real estate (mass) for some maneuverability
that probably won't matter due to point 1 above.  Once you're within
range of his guns and you don't have your biggies there then what
else is he going to shoot at?

Also, someone said to attack from two different sides.	Why?
What's the difference?	He can still fire at anything with everything,
after accounting for FCs.  I have done best from the front or
rear arcs since some of his weapons don't have arcs there (FX and
RX arc styles from SFB) but it is hard to stay in those arcs when
you don't know which way he is going to turn (can't we see the
rudder? <grin>).

anyway, I got some new designs to try out.. thanks for all the
advice so far.

Glen

Prev: RE: Fleet Battles - Squadrons Next: RE: Fleet Battles - Squadrons