Prev: 23rd Raider Group Next: OU ships and a hunt for some Battlestar Galactica "ish" fighters

Decals

From: Thomas Barclay of the Clan Barclay <kaladorn@h...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 01:55:42 -0500
Subject: Decals

1) The last fleets I had a chance to fight with recently had between 30
and 60 ships of various classes. I think the largest count was of
smaller ships (CVs, FFs, DDs, etc). Of these, I think the largest number
was 12 CVs.

2) I'd love to see official logos (though I think the official logos are
kind of bland).

3) As an SG2 player, I'd like to see small decals that could pass for
    i) name tapes (for use on uniform shirts, armour breastplates,
helmets) - transparent background and probably black lettering
    ii) small decals that look like unit flashes - in a variety of
schemes - some colourful, some the subdued (black and khaki or black and
sand) versions of the same image.

I was actually experimenting with shrinking a page sized imperial
starburst for traveller to do on my (UNSC) Traveller Imperial Marines.
But the colour printer I have claims 1200x1200 resolution... but it
seems that shrinking a jpeg or bmp doesn't always seem to produce a nice
clear image. I'm not sure what the issue here is (I'll leave it to the
Comp Graphics mavens to illuminate us) but I'd really like to see a way
to take a larger image and shrink it to a passable small image that
could be used for ship markings, shoulder flashes, tank markings, etc.
The images don't have to be complex, but things like
    i) horse head (knight from chess)
    ii) Early german maltese cross (white or silver border around the
early German cross)
    iii) Insignia like the US SF insignia (with the lightning flashes)
    iv) Skull and Xbones
    v) Stylized Crown
    vi) Stylized Dagger (many good German and English or US examples -
Sykes Fairburn comes to mind)
    vii) Small representations of older flags (white ensign, any other
naval flags)
    viii) Lightning Flashes, Thunder clouds
    ix) Skull by itself (many special units make use of such insignia)
    x) Sun (various stylized depictions)

These are some ideas. It'd be nice to produce a decal sheet for
    i) ships - the naval flags, tail/hull symbols, squadron markings,
etc
    ii) SG2 - shoulder flashes, name tapes, unit insignia
    iii) SG2 vehicles - similar to many of the sheets done by model
companies, but scaled right and with sci fi flavor
    iv) National sheets - numbers, symbols like the NSL cross, etc. for
each nationality in various sizes and numbers etc in their chosen font

Yes, this is an extensive variety I'm speaking of. But it strikes me
that other than the basic effort to set these up and draw them up (not
negligible), once they are on file, it should be a simple matter to
produce them onto the decal sheets with these zoomie printers everyone
has. And the nice thing is the old sheets just sit on a disk (BTW, hope
you back up this stuff if you go at it seriously...). Then when someone
needs them again, double click and tadah! there's the stored sheet.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing results. If they're half decent, I'm
a customer! :)	 And with the graphic talent on the list, there really
wouldn't be any excuse for something less than impressive, now would
there? <grin> :)

Tom
"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

Homepage: http:\\fox.ntsn.ca\~kaladorn\index.html
ICQ: 58316640 (Tomin8tor)

"Ah. I see. Inform me if there is any change in his condition."
<hangs up the phone>
"How is he?"
"He's dead."
-- The movie Top Secret

Prev: 23rd Raider Group Next: OU ships and a hunt for some Battlestar Galactica "ish" fighters