Prev: Re: SM battle report - "Death of the Decoys" Next: RE: [DS] Daleks (x-list)

RE: [DS] Daleks (x-list)

From: "Steve Pugh" <steve@p...>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:02:29 -0000
Subject: RE: [DS] Daleks (x-list)

> Ace's explosives seem effective (granted she is from the future, but
> not as far in the future as the Daleks). However, these were always
> placed directly on or inside a Dalek.

Ace was from the 1980s. Her explosives were of her own invention,
originally using 1980 level technology (she doesn't seem to have
improved upon that during her stay on Iceworld in the far future).
Only in the Virgin books did Ace gain high tech weaponry and
explosives - after she spent three years fighting in the Dalek wars
of the 26th century.

> Also, they seem to have great trouble when in close assault. I
> remember several times when they were confused by throwing a blanket,
> coat or some-such over their optic (?) sensor. You may want to
> increase the damage at range, but penalize them when close-assaulted.

Daleks have been shown to be vulnerable when attacked with spears!
(Death to the Daleks)

> The main advantages of the Daleks as I remember were:
>   1. Impervious to conventional (20th c.) small, and medium arms. (I
> remember a Dalek surviving a bazooka hit).

Most of the time they were shown as impervious to firearms but
vulnerable to explosives and close combat.

>   2. Usually attacks less advanced worlds.

Prefer to soften up strong targets with biological weapons first
(Dalek Invasion of Earth, etc.)

>   4. Large space assets.
>   5. Numbers? While you never see more than a dozen at one time on the
>   show,

We did see a whole army in cryogenic suspension during Planet of the
Daleks. (Made up of toy Daleks!)

>   6. Advanced/Heavy weapons for Infantry. Even a standard Dalek has a
>   beam weapon that is effective against armor. IIRC, the only use of
the
> Heavy Weapon Dalek was going to be used against the TARDIS (a mighty
> feat indeed!).

In one of the Virgin novels Ace mentions that one of her scars came
from the plasma burst from a Heavy Weapons Dalek. I've been thinking
of giving them a PPG in SGII.

In DSII terms Daleks probably wouldn't be very much different to PA
except without the CC advantages. A whole new set of psychology rules
might be needed however.

	Steve

--
The Ground Zero Games Meta-FAQ is available at
http://steve.pugh.net/grunt/meta-faq.txt

Steve Pugh   <steve@pugh.net>	<http://steve.pugh.net/>

Prev: Re: SM battle report - "Death of the Decoys" Next: RE: [DS] Daleks (x-list)