Prev: Re: [FT] SMR's - Assault Squads Next: Re: GZG Player Location Page (was: 'Dallas', 'New Guy', etc)

Re: anti fighter missiles

From: Jeff Lyon <jefflyon@m...>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 08:54:42 -0600
Subject: Re: anti fighter missiles

Well, if we really want to open the topic of using missiles as a
stand-off
anti-fighter defense, then I'd argue that submunitions packs might be
more
appropriate than salvo missiles.

Think about it; submunitions are described as anime-style swarms of
small
missiles where salvo missiles sound more like a Trident I class
ballistic
missiles (200 tons / 6 missiles = ~33 tons each).

We wouldn't even have to really change the submunition's mechanics much
either; out to 6" they can roll 3 dice as usual, but the damage is
applied
as if they were PDS dice.

I would argue that if we wanted to allow ranged attacks against
fighters,
then *only* ships equipped with ADFC should be able to target them.  In
that case, each submunition would roll 2 dice out to 12" and only one
die
out to 18".  But in that case, we might want to re-think the restriction
on
PDS only targeting fighters if they attack first.

If one did want to use salvo missiles to target fighters, it seems to me
this would be more like the old "Missile Command" console game; you'd
set
off a whole flight of MIRVed salvo missiles for maximum dispersion in
the
general area where you think the fighters would be.  Essentially, this
would be similar to a very small, very weak nova template.

It smacks of overkill, but if you want a precedence, consider that the
Bismarck shot down a couple of low-flying Swordfish torpedo bombers with
the shell splashes from its 15" guns.  :)

Jeff

Prev: Re: [FT] SMR's - Assault Squads Next: Re: GZG Player Location Page (was: 'Dallas', 'New Guy', etc)