Prev: UN SDN-X Next: Re: anti fighter missiles

Re: anti fighter missiles

From: "Brian Thompson" <brianthompson17@h...>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 21:53:47 PST
Subject: Re: anti fighter missiles

>From: Roger Books <books@mail.state.fl.us>
>To: gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
>Subject: Re: anti fighter missiles
>Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 00:36:42 -0500
>

>Nathan rolfe wrote:
> >
> > I is only an idea at the momment and my major reason for this missle

>type is
> > that peole are comming along with 15+(you know who you are) fighter
>groups
> > and as i don't like using them i wanted a way to attack them before
they
> > actually reached my ship. One idea i came up with was to allow ships

>with
> > area defens fire control to shot at fighters withing 6" of them even

>they
> > are not attacking.
>
>If you know people are going to be coming at you with 15+ fighter
>groups it is pretty easy to deal with them.  15 fighter groups
>is 135 mass on the carrier.  How many PDS's with ADFC can you put
>in 135 mass?  Make an Aegis cruiser and keep your ships within 6
inches.
>As a matter of fact 90 mass of PDS's and ADFC's should easily handle
>15 fighter groups.  If they have SML backups then the 135 might be
>necessary if you don't dodge well.
>
>Roger

Its not always that easy to have a fleet defence ship, as these tend to
be
picked on alot if the other person has fighters.  Theres no way you can
knock out 26 fighter groups on one ship with a balanced fleet.	In order
effectively defend against massed fighters, you need to take a fleet
armed
with so much PDS that its useless for anything other than fighter
defence.
This means that you have to take one fleet especially against the
fighter
people and one against everyone else.  Worse, what if the person who you

thought was going to rely on fighters has a fleet outfitted with pulse
torps
instead!!

Brian

Prev: UN SDN-X Next: Re: anti fighter missiles