Prev: Re: Aliens Drop ships and APCs Next: Re: [URL] SFSFW FT Web Site

Re: Aliens Drop ships and APCs

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 08:41:29 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Aliens Drop ships and APCs

On 11-Oct-99 at 05:19, Jeremy Sadler (jsadler@earthling.net) wrote:
> >>The big problem is WINNING these auctions at a reasonable
> >>price.  Being on
> >>the side of the globe means often auctions end when it's 3am
> >>here... and
> >>there is always furious last minute bidding.
> >ebay will do automated proxy bidding for you so you
> >don't have to be online. Problem if two proxybots go
> >head to head you will be up to your maximum and still
> >lose.
>
> Yes I know ebay does this, but it still comes down to two people
bidding
> against each other in the last seconds of the auction - unless one
sets
> their max bid much higher, in which case you could end up paying a lot
more
> for something than you wanted to.  Also, in the last minutes, some
people
> will just keep bidding until they are the highest bidder - and if you
> aren't watching the end of the auction, tough.

That's the point.  Set your bid to what you are willing to pay.  If
they go higher than that they wanted it more than you did.  The whole
point to bidding at the last minute is because many people bid less
than their max and you can get	a deal.  If people bid their max you
don't get a deal any more you get it at "fair market value".

Roger (started out staying up till 2AM to catch the end of bids before
       I realized I was not using the system to my advantage.)

Prev: Re: Aliens Drop ships and APCs Next: Re: [URL] SFSFW FT Web Site