Prev: Re: New ship counters Next: Re: Full Thrust to Star Cruiser (2300AD)?

Re: Models for GZG games from unlikely sources

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 22:18:11 +1000
Subject: Re: Models for GZG games from unlikely sources

Glen Bailey wrote:

> A fellow WIFfer!  Do you know about the WIF mailing list?

I know it exists, but am not a member. Details?
My name's on the credits somewheres (of some editions anyway) as a WiF
playtester, and some of my ideas have gotten incorporated (and dropped)
along the way.

Enough OT stuff for now, back On-Topic.

While attempting to access http://www.revell-monogram.com without luck
(DNS lookup failure, most odd), I naturally attempted to connect via
http://revell.de ie the German company.

While having a look around, I found that they're going to be releasing
some - wait for it - Perry Rhodan ships. No details as to the size of
the models, but depending on that, they could be either excellent
landing shuttles for DS II, or good ships for FT. Their is one
Hammerhead design that would be fine for any Honor Harrington game.

Revell Germany also has some Minikits from Star Trek: Voyager. These are
about 5cm (2") long, so would be great as Full Thrust vessels.

If you're looking for DS II Mobile Planetary Defences, go no further
than the Evil Empire(tm) aka Pudding Workshop aka GW, who put out (mail
order only now) a series of "Ordinatus". These are large multi-bogied
weapons, somewhat reminiscent of railway guns. One has a large Beam
weapon, another a brace of humungous missiles, a third a large reflector
dish.
Unlike almost all of the GW models, these do not have a particularly
Gothic feel. They almost look practicable: a bunch of tracked bogies,
with a lightweight scaffolding on top, then a really huge weapons
system, yet one that is not so big as to be ridiculous for the mounting.

The Beam and Missile ones in any event are certainly big enough to count
as Type I Beams / SMLs. Which could lead to a good DS II scenario,
similar to the "Scud Hunts" of Desert Storm, where the mobile Planetary
defences must be found and KO'd by the first wave of special forces, so
the main force can arrive without unacceptabel casualties. Sort of like
"The Guns of Navarone" in that regard too.

--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: New ship counters Next: Re: Full Thrust to Star Cruiser (2300AD)?