Prev: Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question Next: Re: [FT] Sensor range question (and Evasion)

Re: Sensor Range Question

From: "Steve Pugh" <steve@w...>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:14:29 +0100
Subject: Re: Sensor Range Question

> As to my use of 1" = 1 km , 1 turn = 5-15 (averaging around 10)
seconds:
> (1) Ground support! Dirstide II certanly dosen't have time intervals
in
> the 15min range, the battlefield is only 3 miles long!

You'd better re-read the DSII rules because that (15mins) is exactly
how long one turn is. (5mins in SGII.)

> (2) It's still more
> range than any sci-fi movie I have ever seen, or book I have ever
read.

Watch the B5 episode where the Narn fleet gets toasted by the
Shadows. That's a very long range conflict. And many better SF novels
have much longer ranges (AUs or even fair portions of light years for
some of the Culture weaponry). It's just Star Trek, Star Wars, etc.
that has all combat taking place at point blank ranges.

> (3) I can't believe that space missiles are so unagile that in 15
minutes
> they cannot turn more than 60 degrees.

Well, the MT missiles don't use a very realistic movement system at
all...

> (4) at such long ranges the
> accuracy of unguided missiles (submunition packs, slavo missile racks,
> ect.) is "so close to zero as makes no odds"

Think, very large numbers of missiles with some terminal guidance
built in and an initial launch vector directed with the same accuracy
as a beam battery.

> (5) and lastly, Is based on
> the realization that space is so immensely big, so hugely big, that
the
> human mind cannot hope to comprehend its vastness... so I don't try.

Oh well.

		Steve

--
The Ground Zero Games Meta-FAQ is available at
http://steve.pugh.net/grunt/meta-faq.txt

Steve Pugh   <steve@pugh.net>	<http://steve.pugh.net/>

Prev: Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question Next: Re: [FT] Sensor range question (and Evasion)