Prev: Re: OT: New Stephenson book soon Next: Re: John Atkinson

Re: Ship minis.... from old movies and TV

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:01:37 -0500
Subject: Re: Ship minis.... from old movies and TV

Phillip spake thusly upon matters weighty:

--
> which is not easily removable. The weapons pylons aren't right -- too
> thick, with heavy reinforcement, but accurate ones probably would have

> bent too easily -- but overall, it looks okay and is a good size for
> gaming, and isn't too hard to drill a stand hole into.

Is it white, with three legs (weapons struts?) and a bulbous green
dome or semi sphere at one end? If so, I actually have one of these
somewhere.

> Of course, the initial release wasn't helped by their decision to make

> it in non-authentic colours -- metallic turquoise and bright yellow
> ("It's for little kids; they like bright colours!" <groan>) -- but
> later releases were in white, and at least the drive sphere was the
> right colour, so repainting wasn't too much of a problem.

Sounds like I have the right one!

> Yeah, you can make a reasonable-looking not-Raider from NSL heavy
> fighters by cutting off the nose, leaving the elliptical section. Not
> perfect, but comparable to, say, using Star Tigers as StarFuries <g>.
> Add me to the list of people who want Jon, or Nic, or _someone_ to do
> not-Vipers, and I wouldn't mind some proper not-Raiders either.

I'm getting out my pounds and shillings too....

> I can't help thinking that matching fighter scale is not all that
> important -- the darn things are so small, anyway!

Um. If you saw the viper vs. the raider I've seen, the raider is
probably 1.5"-2" across, and the viper is about 3-3.5" long. Not in
scale. The raider is a fairly large disk relatively in the shows. It
is after all a 2-3 man ship.

> Well, Irregular make a not-Battlestar (as distinct from Comet's
> Galactica -- which seems to be based on that *&%$£! Monogram kit, and

> is thus of very dubious accuracy),

Seen it, it was what I was referring to.

 and I kinda wonder if some of their
> "UFO" minis could be combined to make a not-Base Star. I'll have a
look
> at Salute and let you know.

That would be interesting. The battlestar is a nice fig. If someone
would do a basestar and some fighters, it'd be 1980 all over again...

...and Dirk Benedict would still have had the coolest role....

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: OT: New Stephenson book soon Next: Re: John Atkinson