Prev: Re: [DSII] Genre Next: Re: Gaming area, was: [FT] Gunboats - points cost??

Re: [DSII] Genre

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 22:43:40 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [DSII] Genre

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Donald Hosford wrote:
> Brian Burger wrote:
> > Be warned that DS2 is not kind to supertanks - an Ogre is dangerous,
but
> > it's also a damned big target. Literally almost impossible to miss,
so you
> > just whale away at the damn thing until you get the right handful of
RED
> > chits or a BOOM. Or get MDCs or DFFGs into their Close range band.
The
> > Ogre might be killing three or four of your vehicles per turn, but
your
> > battalion is throwing so much firepower downrange at the Ogre that
it IS
> > going to die. We ran an armour battalion vs one MkV w/ a light
mechanized
> > company in support, and the Ogre's side was wiped out...
> > Rules adjustments are needed to accomadate Ogres in DS2...
> > Our MkV stats (roughly): 2x MDC/5 (tu) Main Battery. 4x MDC/2
Secondary
> > Battery. 16 APSWs. 6 tubes of Heavy Artillery. 2x GMS/H. 4 Firecons.
Main
> > Hull Size 7, Armour 8. Aft Hull Size 6, Armour 7. 4x Tread Modules,
ea.
> > Size 4, Armour 5. (I think this is right. It's been a couple months
or
> > more since we did the DS2 Ogre games, and this is purely off the top
of my
> > head.)
> > Our MkIII stats had the same Main Battery, lost most of the Arty and
GMS/H
> > and Secondary Battery. Can't recall anything more about it.
> > they died...they died hard, but they did die. I have a Company of
> > SuperHeavy Battle Tanks that're just MADE to hunt Ogres...
> > We never did give our Ogres Nukes in their artillery. Should have,
> > probably. Would've made them much, much more deadly...
> > Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
> > -- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/games.html
--DS2/SG2/misc--

> Did you guys simulate the BPC armor the ogre has?
> This makes the ogres need no support....  That is what makes them
great!

We never bothered with special armour rules for Ogres. Just gave them
lots
of regular DS2 armour - Arm. 7 or so...they still died. It doesn't take
twin MDC/4s long to punch thru Arm7 when at close range...those
superheavy
tanks I mentioned several posts ago. (Size 5, 2xMDC/4 TU, Stealth 1, Arm
5, LAD, SUP PDS. Who needs Ogres?)

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
-- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/games.html
--DS2/SG2/misc--
    -- House Rules, Photos, GW Autobasher, Fantasy Wargaming, and more--

Prev: Re: [DSII] Genre Next: Re: Gaming area, was: [FT] Gunboats - points cost??