Prev: FT-ST thoughts (was: RE: Directional armor & shields) Next: Re: FT-ST thoughts (was: RE: Directional armor & shields)

Sensors:, A, snapshot, response

From: "Michael Blair" <amfortas@h...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 02:25:07 PST
Subject: Sensors:, A, snapshot, response

I dislike reintroducing the concept of ship size. That died with FT II
and there are no longer the clear breaks there was before (yipee!).
The way to go is to introduce a signature stat for a ship, calculated
when the ship is built.
Something along of the lines of:
  + Fraction of mass
  +1 if merchant (or double?)
  - Stealth rating
Then in play this is modified by ECM and damage, maybe +1 per threshold
crossed. This could be added very easily to the SSD thus:

Sig.  Hit boxes
  3   OOO
  4   OOO
  5   OOO

Having the signature on the SSD is the simplest way of doing it, so we
could have even quite a complicated means of calculation (I like square
root of mass) without affecting play.

I do like the no lock, no shot idea. Then could there be bearing only
launch of missiles?

		 Michael R. Blair