Prev: Re: [FT] Wave Gun usage in actual games . . Next: Re: Plastic Models and Acrylics.

Re: [DS2]Moon - Help Requested

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:46:20 +1300
Subject: Re: [DS2]Moon - Help Requested

Tony Christney <acc@questercorp.com> wrote:
>Brian Bell <bkb@beol.net> wrote:
>>less dense (and contains fewer heavy metals). But I have been unable
>>find what the circumference of the moon. I am trying to figure out the
>>distance to the horizon on the Moon. If anyone can provide information
>>or insight on this matter, it will be appreciated.
>
>Calculating the distance to the horizon is not that tricky if you
>assume that the radius of the surface is much greater than the
>hieght of the observer. This is most definitely the case for combatants
>on a planetoid. You can simply use this approximate formula:
>
>DISTANCE_TO_HORIZON = (2*RADIUS_OF_SURFACE*HEIGHT_OF_OBSERVER)^1/2
>
>i.e. the distance to horizon is proportional to the square root
>of the height of the observer. Note that this assumes a flat,
>spherical surface free of terrain that blocks LOS.
>
>Hence, for the moon which has a radius of 1738 km, assuming a
>2m high observer, we get:
>
>Dh = (2*1738000m*2m)^1/2 = 2637m
    What about a observer lying down on 100m hill hill? I get 18.6Km?
Would
this be right?
    By the way, anyone know the radius of Earth?

Andrew Martin
-------------
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
 http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/
Usagi Yoyimbo Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/UY/

Prev: Re: [FT] Wave Gun usage in actual games . . Next: Re: Plastic Models and Acrylics.