Prev: Re: [DS2]Moon - Help Requested Next: GZGL FT Fast FTL drives.

Re: Plastic Models and Acrylics.

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:50:34 +1000
Subject: Re: Plastic Models and Acrylics.

G'day Mark,

>	I've been thinking of investing in a Revell B5 Space Station
model for
>use in Babylon 5 related games.  However, there is one thing that I
>dread.... painting with enamels.  Every time I use enamel paint on a
>model, I wind up ruining it no matter what I do.  I find acrylics are
>much easier to mix and control. I was wondering if anyone could
>recommend any techniques for painting plastic models with acrylics?

I paint plastic figures the same way I paint metal figures (and I don't
seem to have too many problems). Basically wash/wipe parts before
sticking
together and then undercoat with matt black or whatever other base
colour
you want (you may want to use a med-dark grey for your B5 station) and
then
put the colours/highlights/shading on. By the way, If you're
undercoating
with the basecoat colour then a couple of coats may be advisable.
The only warning I have is that you should be VERY careful to let each
bit
dry before starting up again, as the paint doesn't seem to totally take
the plastic until its completely dry and if you jump into early some
spot
somewhere is going to flake off on your fingers (its not going to happen
on
mass, but there's sure to be some small spot somewhere). For the same
reason, make sure you give it a good dose of varnish at the end.

Hope that helps,

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: [DS2]Moon - Help Requested Next: GZGL FT Fast FTL drives.