Prev: Re: [DS2]Moon - Help Requested Next: Re: [DS2]Moon - Help Requested

Re: [FT] Wave Gun usage in actual games . .

From: Brian Bell <bkb@b...>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 20:38:21 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Wave Gun usage in actual games . .

Yes, I have used it to great effect. I have not used it in FB mode, but
have used
it with vector movement.

As someone else stated, it is THE defense against MT missiles and
fighters.

The one battle I remember was against someone who maxed out a force with
16
capital ships armed with AA Mega Batteries. I had a mixed force of
Frigates,
Destroyers, and Cruisers. He entered the board 1" from the edge and
stopped.
Using edge of the world tactics and superior range, I would not have had
any
chance with a standard force. Fortunatly, I included 4 wave cruisers in
my force
of smaller ships.
He launched fighters and gathered them into one huge furball. His plan
was to
attack a single ship at a time. Meanwhile, he waited for me to come into
range.
As my ships come into range, he let loose with a barrage from the AA
guns. I did
not return fire as his ships were out of range. Next round, my force
again closed
as his moved 1". Again, I was hit by many AA beams.  Again, I was not in
range of
him. His fighters closed on my cruisers. Next round, 2 of the wave
cruisers let
loose with their Wave Guns. All of his fighters vaporized. 8 of his
Capital ships
were also caught in theWave. All of them had to make threshold checks.
Now he
decided to move. :-) But his ships could only move 2".	My ships closed
and
angled for attack. He won initive and opened up with  AA guns against
the a Wave
Cruiser that had fired. One of them took damage, but did not loose the
Wave gun.
My other 2 Wave Cruisers opened fire. He lost 3 Capitals and the rest of
his
fleet was damaged (some seriously). I rolled good for recharge,
recharging 3 of
the 4 Wave cruisers. I was able to move one Wave cruiser to face his
entire line
of ships. At this point, my opponet surrendered.

-MWS- wrote:

> Greetings, all!
>
> Has anyone actually *used* the wave gun effectively in MT or FB games?
 I'm
> curious because the only reference I've seen to a design with the WG
is in the
> GZG/GenCon tournament, and it was never chosen when the MegaWeapon
fleet was
> taken (everyone chose the two AA Megabeam version instead).
>
> I'm trying to come up with a consistant 'theme' for my K'rathri fleet
using
> the FB design rules, and an emphasis on Pulse Torps and Wave Guns
seems like a
> nice fit with the K'rathrian "scream & leap" psychology.  However, I
don't
> want to get too far down the design process if the WG is either
ineffective or
> *too* effective (and therefore disallowed by most players <g>).
Opinions?