Prev: Re: [DS] Why play DS? Next: Re: Sa'Vasku

RE: Canada in NAC / India in UN

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 21:43:38 -0500
Subject: RE: Canada in NAC / India in UN

I thought that

a) the UN recruits directly, kind of like the French Foreign Legion
now...
maintaing it's own standing forces the same way it maintains it's own
navy,

and

b) the Indians were part of the ESU

Even if they weren't, would the UN like to draw the bulk of it's forces
from one contributing nation?  And would the Indians like to be the bulk
contributor unless they received complementary power at the Security
Council (or whatever the equivalent is in 2183+)

Certainly now Canada maintains much of it's "integrity" as a major
contributor to the UN because of it's independance from US (and UK for
that
matter) foreign  policy.  When Canada becomes just a part of the NAC
political entity, we would lose that political independance and thereby
our
status as sort-of-neutral...

If the UN draws much of it's general troop strength from the member
nations, it would inevitably end up with forces from the big power
blocks -
so I guess it would have to make sure that the forces it sends to a
given
area are from nations that aren't part of that fight.  Maybe the UN
sticks
to drawing troops from "neutral" countries - but then there'd be an
awfull
lot of Swiss and Dutch troops out there - they'd become a power in their
own right by virtue of being involved all the time and the bigger
nations
might resent that.

Anyway - just a brief thought or two,

Adrian