Prev: Re: [FT] suitable minis for Centauri escorts & cruisers? Next: Re: [fh ot] Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Star s)

Re: [fh ot] Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

From: "Evan Powles" <epowles@p...>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 22:34:09 +1100
Subject: Re: [fh ot] Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@ozemail.com.au>
To: gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Saturday, 5 December 1998 21:09
Subject: Re: [fh ot] Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of
Stars)

>>Danm, that put everyone in NAC-ESU  Duality.	Except the Dutch and the
>>abiguous Aussies.

>>> with NAC)
>>>
>>> They do use FSE designed APCs and see below...
>>
>>Not that this means much--as long as they pay the liscencing fees, the
>>French will sell to anyone.  They'd have sold guns to Hitler if he'd
>>asked them.
>>
> To be honest I think that we will go it alone and try and stay out of
any
>major conflict and avoid taking sides (unless it involves the IC). I
don't
>know why but I have this recollection of a Confederate commerce raider
and
>a Federal warship both being in AUS (Melbourne I think) at the same
time
>during the Civil War. Basically the OU will be nominally neutral,
provide
>humanitarian aid where possible, allow anyone to visit and kill
everyone
>who has a fight in our territory.

The Confederate steamer Shenadoah arrived in Melbourne in 1865, where
she
was slipped for repairs in a dock owned by the colony of Victoria. Her
captain was accused of recruiting (which was illegal), and when Captain
Waddell refused to allow police to search the ship the slipway was
closed by
police, the colony's screw sloop-of-war moored nearby and the Royal
Artillery put on standby. While the police were holding the ship they
also
stopped an attempt by northern sympathisers to blow her up. The
Confederates
put their new recruits off the ship, and Shenandoah was allowed to
launch.
She then proceeded to recruit again with the government deciding not to
go
through the whole confrontation again. The affair cost the British
government some $4,000,000 in restitution to the USA for the breach of
neutrality.

Back in the fictional universe, I do take the view that the generally
hostile relationship with the Indonesians forces the OU to stay on
speaking
terms with the ESU and so prevents a close relationship with the NAC.

Evan Powles
epowles@peninsula.starway.net.au