Prev: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT Next: Re: [FT] suitable minis for Centauri escorts & cruisers?

Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 20:39:53 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

Tony Christney wrote:

> >Even today including territorial
> >waters and Antartic region Australia is the 3rd largest area under
one
> >government (the big ones are USA and Russia)
>
> Bollocks! Canada is the second largest, China the third, USA is
> number four, which I suppose would put Oz at number five...
>
> You're right about Russia. Damn that place is big!

Note the "Including territorial waters and Antarctic region" bit.

Australia & Tasmania is about the same size as the USA plus Alaska. A
bit smaller, in fact, about 2% from memory.

But we have uncontested claims over 2/3 of Antarctica, which pushes us
way over Canada in size. Not that we actually try to enforce them - the
Antarctic Treaty forbids that. But should any idiot try to abrogate
this, then we get the lion's share. Unless anyone objects militarily...

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT Next: Re: [FT] suitable minis for Centauri escorts & cruisers?