Prev: RE: [FT] RG Damage Vs. Armour Next: Re: [SG] Scenario with engineers

Re: GZGL FH - Habitats in Space.

From: "Colfox" <monty88@f...>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 21:26:55 -0600
Subject: Re: GZGL FH - Habitats in Space.

<snip>

> must. however, i think shipyards will be built at planets, at the top
of
> space elevators. you have to ask if the savings in transport costs
> (running a more or less continual employee bus up and down the
elevator)
> outweight the costs associated with building space habitats - all that
> extra life support, structure, room for recreation and support
services,
> etc. i don't think so - i think employees will live on the ground and
> commute up to the facilities.

I can't find my source at the moment, but IIRC, while elevators into
orbit
are feasible, the trip would take several hours.  I don't remember how
many
exactly, but it's enough that commuting to and from work this way would
not
work.

My $.02, if we need large manufacturing facilities in space, and we
don't
have any living habitats out there, they will be manned like the oil
platforms now (big bucks pay, and work a couple months--off a couple
months).
Eventually, I would hope that any workers would live at a moonbase.
Much
easier to live there (and build), and much shallower gravity well to
climb
out of to get to work.

--Colfox

Prev: RE: [FT] RG Damage Vs. Armour Next: Re: [SG] Scenario with engineers