Prev: Re: [SG] Scenario with engineers Next: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

Re: [SG] Scenario with engineers

From: Fabet@a...
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 23:38:44 EST
Subject: Re: [SG] Scenario with engineers

<< Fabet@aol.com wrote:

 > For modern U.S. Army a engineer squad is usually attached to a
battalion
for
 > short periods of time (theres just not enough of them around to
attach full

 *Does math in head*  (See!  Real Engineer.  Infantrymen do math on
toes,
 so I've heard.  Never actually seen one do math) That would make for a
 whole company in a division.  What exactally are they doing out there
in
 the 82nd? <

Your forgetting that a Division also has more than 3 line brigades. The
engineers are also assisting the division support command (at least a
brigade
sized outfit) and the divisions organic assets (aviation, signal, etc).
Don't
forget division HQ. You wouldn't want the division staff to build their
own
defenses, would you?
Most of the assets were actually held by the brigade
commander/operations
officer or Division ADCO who were had the engineers constructing
obstacles
throughout the commands area of resposibility.

 > time). As a platoon leader I was lucky to see on drive by. As a
company
 > commander I rarely have 2 or 3 attached for special missions.

 *Shrug*  I guess those Airborne Engineers have better union
 representatives than we do. I've done exercises with a squad operating
 in support of a company or even platoon many times before.

 What the hell do you do with 3 Engineers?  That's enough to hold
classes
 which will, if you take two days doing it, make Infantry almost
 competent to carry explosives without blowing themselves up.

 John M. Atkinson<

The Engineers were usually just enough to for a commitee and decide to
wander
off and get lost. When they were around they usually carried enough
extra
equipment to build rope bridges, blow away some small obstacles, etc.

Faron Betchley

Prev: Re: [SG] Scenario with engineers Next: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT