Prev: Re: Killing Infantry Next: Re: [SG] Scenario with engineers

Re: [SG] Scenario with engineers

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 02:12:06 -0800
Subject: Re: [SG] Scenario with engineers

Terrance L. Smith wrote:

> My question is: is attaching a squad of engineers to a platoon of
infantry
> for this type of mission reasonable from a "real world" perspective?
> Alternatively, if it is not ideal, might it be done because it is
expedient
> (as is known to happen in the "real world")?

Been there, done that, got the dagofriggin' T-shirt.

In short:  Engineers in the US Army are organic to Light Divisions at
the rate of 1 Batallion per Division.  Each company in that batallion is
usually attached down to a brigade.  These usually divvy us out 1
platoon per batallion.	We're usually kept in the BC's back pocket until
needed.  Then between a squad and the full platoon are attached to
infantry (we think of it other way around, usually, but don't say
nothing 'coz Infantrymen have fragile egos, as can be seen by the amount
of time they spend grunting, shouting, and insulting everyone else in
order to build up their own self-esteem[1]) companies or platoons for
whatever mission is required.  What you're describing is a mission for
which a squad of engineers would easily be along to do the real work
while the Infantry hung around looking pretty, if there was reason to
believe there was some sort of obstacle in place.

John M. Atkinson

[1]As if it's our fault they failed the ASVAB!

Prev: Re: Killing Infantry Next: Re: [SG] Scenario with engineers