Prev: Re: [FT] Railguns Next: Re: FTFB General Question

Re: [FT] Railguns

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:18:04 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Railguns

	Okay, here's a thought...let's make Railguns completely
different.
Personally, I see RGs as being very difficult wepons to hit with at FT
distances, but if they DO hit their target...bad things happen.

	To hit, RGs must roll HIGHER than the distance to the targer (in
inches,
centimeters, or whatever scale you are using) on 3d6.  In other words,
in
order to hit a ship 12" away, the Kra'vak player must roll 13 or higher
on
3d6.  A roll of "3" is always a miss, and a roll of "18" is always a
hit.

	Damage is equal to the roll 1d6 per class of the weapon (2d6 for
class 2,
4d6 for class 4, etc.), with no rerolls; half of the damage (rounded
down)
is applied to armor, and the rest to the target's hull.

	Option the First: When firing, the to-hit dice (for lack of a
better
phrase) are equal to the class of the RG.  I.e., a class 2 RG must roll
higher than the range on 2d6, a class 4 must roll higher on 4d6, etc.  I
don't think I care for this idea, but it is an option.

	Option the Second: Allow the firer to reroll sixes on his to-hit
dice.
This extend the maximum range of RGs to, in theory, infinity and beyond,
but I don't really see a problem with this.  After all, in space a shot
is
going to travel until it hits something...and the chances of anyone
rolling
enough sixes to hit a target on the other side of the table are slim
indeed.  The only problem that I can see with this is that it may cause
overzealous players to attempt a shot every single turn, but a stout
hammer
would remedy this pretty easily.

	Option the Third: If the damage seems to high, allow screens to
subtract
one point/level from the damage dice.  I don't see a need for it, but
whatever works for you.

	Railguns should be one-arc weapons, I feel, but how should the
KV
manuever?  I think that they should use the Vector system, with all of
their Thrust points, as the best adaptation from MT.  Being able to
travel
one way while pointing another can only work to their advantage, after
all.
 Let the Sa'vasku use the cinematic system.

	Anyway, this would give the humans a definate range advantage,
but would
allow the Kra'Vak to go through them like a hot knife through butter at
close range.  Plus, it is different enough from beam fire to provide a
nicely "alien feel", and it does not require any tables or charts.

	However, I have no idea what point/mass cosst should be,
thankyouverymuch.

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: Re: [FT] Railguns Next: Re: FTFB General Question